Afraid Synonym! The following lesson provides alternative ways to say Afraid in English with their meaning and example sentences with ESL infographic. Find these useful synonyms for Afraid to broaden and enhance your vocabulary in English.
Afraid Synonym List
Synonyms for Afraid
Here is the useful list of 40 ways to use instead of Afraid:
- Chicken out
- Scared stiff
- In a flap
- Scared out of someone wits
- Glued to the spot
- Cold sweat
- Shaking like a leaf
Synonyms for Afraid with Examples
Here is the list of synonyms for the word “afraid” with the specific example sentences to help you understand more clearly:
- I was going to go bungee jumping, but I chickened out.
- The natives were cowed by the army.
- People are fearful of rising crime in the area.
- Things are frantic in the office right now.
- He was frightened at the sight of the dog.
- We were horrified by what we saw.
- I recoiled in horror from the snake.
- I always get the jitters the morning before an exam.
- My mother gets very jumpy when she’s alone in the house.
- I’m always nervy before an exam.
- Many women feel panicky travelling home at night alone.
- The idea of making a speech in public petrified him.
- I was scared of the big dog.
- They were shell-shocked by the news.
- She was very tense as she waited for the interview.
- I’m terrified of the dark.
- Anna is a timid child.
- He looked uneasy and refused to answer questions.
- I was scared stiff at the thought of making a speech.
- Stop cowering! I’m not going to hit you.
In a flap
- She gets in a flap over the slightest thing.
- This is no time to be faint-hearted.
Scared out of someone wits
- That strange noise during the night scared me out of my wits.
- Calm down, you’re getting hysterical.
- He looked at her aghast.
Glued to the spot
- I just stood there, glued to the spot.
- I break out in a cold sweat just thinking about public speaking.
Shaking like a leaf
- What’s wrong with you? You’re shaking like a leaf.
- Many times the private hospitals transfer their terribly aggressive, agitated patients to us because they cannot handle them.
- I was a bit alarmed at how much weight she’d lost.
- He has complained of being harassed by the police.
- He was the most timorous person in that event.
- The Government are still lily-livered in that respect.
- He despised himself for being so cowardly.
- He was startled when dozens of strangers showed up at his office.
- Older people can feel very intimidated by computers.
- The streets were full of panic-stricken people trying to escape the tear gas.
- Two fierce eyes glared at the terror-stricken sailors.
- I was appalled by the lack of staff in the hospital.
- She is too chicken-livered to walk down a dark street alone at night.
Afraid Synonyms in English | Infographic
The list of 40 different words to say AFRAID with ESL infographic is shown below: