Whats is Definite Article THE in English and how to use it? Below is clear explanations about this common article.
An article is a word that combines with a noun. Articles are actually adjectives because they describe the nouns that they precede. In English, there are only three articles: the, a, and an (definite and indefinite articles). However, the three are not interchangeable; rather, they are used in specific instances. This lesson will provide the definition, useful rules and examples of the definite article “The”.
Definite Article THE | Definition
The definite article is the word “the”. It is used before a noun to specify it as something previously considered.
Definite Article THE | Rules
* Use “the” after you have talked about it the first time. For example:
- This is a dog. The dog is brown.
* Use “the” when the person you are talking to already knows what you are talking about. For example:
- I am going to the bank.
- There is someone knocking at the door. It must be the computer repairman. I called him to come help fix my computer.
* Use “the” when you talk about general places in nature like the lake, the mountains, the ocean, the beach, etc. For example:
- Let’s go to the beach.
- I love to camp in the mountains.
* Use “the” when you are talking about something that there is only one of and everyone knows about it. The sky, the earth, the stars (as a group). For example:
- How many people are there on the Earth?
- The sky is so beautiful today.
Definite Article THE | Infographics