But Synonym in English! Learn the list of over 20 words to say instead of BUT: Nevertheless, Yet, Though, However, On the other hand, Although, Notwithstanding, Nonetheless, Still,…with ESL printable infographic.
BUT (as conjunction):
- Used to introduce a phrase or clause contrasting with what has already been mentioned. For example: “He stumbled but didn’t fall”.
BUT (as a preposition):
- Except; apart from; other than. For example: “In Texas, we were never anything but poor”.
BUT (as an adverb):
- No more than; only. For example: “He is but a shadow of his former self”.
List of Synonyms for BUT
Here is the list of synonyms for the word BUT in English
- On the other hand
- All the same
- Even although
- On the contrary
- If it were not that
- If it be not that
- No more than
But Synonyms with Examples
- He was very tired; nevertheless, he went on walking.
- If I have lost the ring, yet the fingers are still here.
- The builder looked at me as though I was barking mad.
- I feel a bit tired. However, I can hold on.
On the other hand
- My husband likes classical music – I, on the other hand, like all kinds.
- There are serious problems in our country. Nonetheless, we feel this is a good time to return.
- Even though she doesn’t really have the time, she still offered to help.
- A better working environment improves people’s performance, and hence productivity.
- Even although you’re a douche bag, you can use a search box to get to the page you’ve been looking for.
On the contrary
- You think you are clever; on the contrary, I assure that you are very foolish.
- He does well, only that he is nervous at the start
Synonym for BUT | Infographic