Conjunctive Adverbs in English! In this article, you will find a full list of conjunctive adverbs in English with grammar rules & usage with ESL printable picture.
Conjunctive Adverbs | Rules & Usage
The purpose of Conjunctions is to connect. They join words, phrases, or clauses together to identify what the writer is saying. These connecting words provide smooth transitions from one idea to another.
When the job of an adverb is to connect ideas, we call it a conjunctive adverb.
Conjunctive adverbs are parts of speech that are used to connect one clause to another. They are also used to show sequence, contrast, cause and effect, and other relationships. In this situation, the conjunctive adverb acts like a coordinating conjunction, connecting two complete ideas.
MAIN CLAUSE ; + Conjunctive Adverb , + MAIN CLAUSE.
Example Sentences of Conjunctive Adverbs
- He was busy; therefore he could not come.
- The ant is the most industrious animal; however, it is the most taciturn one.
- I like you a lot; in fact, I think we should be best friends.
- Your cat got into my yard; in addition, he dug up my petunias.
- There are serious problems in our country; nonetheless, we feel this is a good time to return.
- My car payments are high; on the other hand, I really enjoy driving such a wonderful vehicle.
Conjunctive Adverbs List
- In addition