Couch potato! “Couch potato” is a popular idiom used today. Here you will find the meaning of the phrase, the story behind its origin, examples of how to use it properly conversations/statements and other ways to say the phrase in a more literal sense.
An idiom is a phrase or an expression that has a figurative, or sometimes literal, meaning. An idiom’s figurative meaning is different from the literal meaning.
Couch Potato Meaning
When someone call you a couch potato, he/she means you are a very lazy and inactive person, you spend most of the time lying on your couch watching television. You also do not exercise or have any interesting hobbies.
Origin of Couch Potato
This idiomatic expression is supposed to be originated in 1970’s in America by a comic artist who drew two idle, inactive and lazy characters he named them “Couch Potatoes” since then this phrase became very popular to call names someone who spends lots of time watching television then being habitual of TV they put on weight and looks more like a potato.
- You are such a couch potato on weekends.
- He’s turned into a real couch potato since he subscribed to the sports channel.
- No more nonstop basketball for couch potato Congressional staff members.
- The boy was a couch potato. They used to fight over very trivial things.
- You couch potato! Get up and exercise a little during commercials.
- Tim became a complete couch potato after he bought a new plasma – screen television.
- He is a couch potato. He just lies around, eating chips and watching TV all day long.
- My father becomes a couch potato during football season.
- But just how badly does the couch potato want to be liberated? And at what price?
- He is such a couch potato on weekends.
- If there was a prize for the best couch potato, my husband would win it.
- Tom, you’re a typical couch potato.
- The American couch potato becomes maybe even a part of the American tradition!
- You are such a couch potato on weekends!
- You’re nothing but a couch potato, Mike! Get off the sofa, will you?
- Many American are couch potato these days.
- And no matter how fit you are, you’re just as susceptible to the same long-term damage as the average couch potato.
- In many cases, Olympian designs serve as the basis for apparel that the average couch potato will be able to buy.
- The last thing I want to do is to share a place with a couch potato.
- The elder son is a bookworm while the younger one is a couch potato.
Related Words for Couch Potato
- Lazy television watcher
- Inactive person
- Bone-lazy fellow
- Chronic television viewer
- Television addict