Empathy vs Sympathy! Learn the difference in meaning & usage of these two confusing words with useful example sentences and ESL printable infographic.
Difference between Empathy vs Sympathy
Empathy vs Sympathy
What’s the difference between Empathy vs Sympathy?
The two words empathy and sympathy are often confused and used interchangeably. The difference between the two terms may seem slight, but it equates to two very different forms of behavior and feelings. Let’s take a look at the definition and how to use them correctly in English.
Empathy Definition with Examples
- Empathy is a noun and we use this word when you put yourself into someone’s shoes.
- Empathy is emotionally understanding of the feelings, thoughts, or attitudes of another. It happens when you try to understand and feel someone’s emotions as if they were your own.
Example sentences using Empathy:
- The mother feels empathy with her son.
- It is important to develop the empathy between dogs and their handlers.
- She had a deep empathy with animals.
- What she probably needs much more is your empathy and appreciation.
- I felt real empathy for my mother and what she had been through.
- You have a creative streak-very dangerous when coupled with empathy.
- In every case, the need for empathy and positive regard is greatly increased.
- Empathy is another crucial ingredient when establishing rapport.
Sympathy Definition with Examples
- Sympathy is feeling sorry, sorrow for another’s misfortune. You feel bad for someone based on their circumstances.
- Sympathy is often doing or saying what is expected, hence the endless supply of sympathy cards.
Example sentences using Sympathy:
- She expressed her sympathy to the bereaved family.
- His remorse is just an artifice to gain sympathy.
- She seemed to feel some sympathy for the patients.
- She never expressed any sympathy when I was injured.
- She alternated between outrage and sympathy.
- The woman’s plight engaged our sympathy.
- I have had very little help from doctors and no sympathy whatsoever.
- The sight of him filled her with a womanly sympathy.
- She made with the tears and tried to win everyone’s sympathy.
- Allies vs. Central Powers: A Battle of Power and Strategy - October 31, 2023
- Cold War vs. Hot War: How They Shaped the Modern World - October 31, 2023
- Apocrine vs. Eccrine: The Secretions of Sweat - October 31, 2023