However synonym! Learn the list of over 40 words to use instead of “However”: Despite, Despite that, Even so, For all that, On the flip side, On the Other Hand, Howbeit,…with ESL infographic.
List of Synonyms for However
“However” is used with an adjective or adverb to mean ‘to whatever degree’ or used to introduce a statement that contrasts with something that has just been said.
- However fast we drive, we’re not going to get there in time.
- If Emma likes something she’ll buy it, however much it costs.
- She has the window open, however cold it is outside.
- However carefully I explained, she still didn’t understand.
- A short while ago, however, he became a bus driver and he has not regretted it.
- At any rate
- In spite of
- Despite that
- Even so
- For all that
- On the flip side
- Having said that
- In any case
- Without regard to
- By way of contrast
- In contrast
- In whatever way
- All the same
- On the other hand
- Per contra
- Still and all
- That being said
- On the contrary
- Then again
- In spite of
- That having been said
However Synonyms with Examples
- It may snow, but anyhow I will go shopping.
At any rate
- Well, I’m not going home on foot, at any rate.
- John is good at French but weak at history.
- Conversely, you might say that it is ridiculous.
In spite of
- In spite of their quarrel, they remain the best of friends.
- Despite that, it is hardy and rarely gets diseases, but has not been tank-bred.
- It was raining, but even so we had to go out.
For all that
- I’m so grateful for all that you’ve done.
On the flip side
- On the flip side of partnerships he talked about their competition.
Having said that
- Having said that , I agree with your other point.
- Howbeit we must be cast upon a certain island.
In any case
- In any case, he is a friend of mine.
- Alternatively, manufacturers have recently produced a colour changer.
Without regard to
- He was driving without regard to speed limits.
By way of contrast
- By way of contrast, natural resource industries were essentially a birthright.
- It was cold yesterday, but in contrast it’s very hot today.
- Despite the bad weather, we enjoyed ourselves.
- Though he’s fool, I like him nonetheless.
- Notwithstanding differences, there are clear similarities in all of the world’s religions.
On the other hand
- I’d like to eat out, but on the other hand I should be trying to save money.
- He was very tired; nevertheless he went on walking.
On the contrary
- You think you are clever; on the contrary, I assure that you are very foolish.
- The company treated me as though I were skiving.
In spite of
- She is cheerful in spite of his illness.
- He must be about sixty, whereas his wife looks about thirty.
- I agree with you, but yet I can’t consent