Making Suggestions and Responding in English! Learn basic useful phrases to make suggestions, accept suggestions or refuse suggestions with useful examples and ESL infographic.
In some speaking activities, you have to make suggestions and responding to suggestions. The following will help you to learn to make a suggestion which is a good way to improve your English conversation skills.
Learn more about how to express opinions in English.
How to Make and Respond to Suggestions
- Let’s revise…
- What about going to…?
- How about going …?
- Why don’t we go …?
- Couldn’t we …?
- Shall we …?
- What would you say to …?
- Don’t you think it is a good idea to …?
- Does it matter if we …?
- Would you like to …?
- Let’s go to…
- I suggest you/we take…into consideration…
- We could…
- Do you fancy …
- We might as well…
- Ok. let’s.
- Yes, I’d like to.
- Yes, I’d love to.
- What a good idea!
- Why not?
- Yes, with pleasure.
- Yes, I feel like taking a walk.
- Yes. That sounds like a good idea.
- Yes, that’s not a bad idea.
- Count me in too.
In some case, you want to refuse or you disagree with the suggestions, you could say:
- No, let’s not.
- Well, I’d rather…
- I don’t feel like it.
- I dislike going for a walk.
- What an awful/bad idea!
- I’m not sure about that idea.
- I’d love to but…
- I don’t think it will work.
- I don’t think I can.
- I’m not very keen on (+_ing)
Things to Remember about suggestions
1. The verb “suggest” can be followed by either:
Should + verb = I suggest (that) we should go to the theater.
A verb (in the subjunctive form)= I suggest (that) we go to the movies.
2.”That” is optional:
- I suggest that we should visit Paris.
- I suggest we should visit Paris.
Making and Responding to Suggestions | Infographic
Monday 10th of April 2023
Thank for your excellent information♡♡♡
Saturday 29th of October 2022
Tuesday 12th of April 2022
CAROLINA CARRION VERA
Monday 6th of December 2021
Thank you so much. My students will learn easily.
Friday 12th of November 2021