Learning the names of shapes is not only important for language learning, but it also helps you in your day-to-day life. From identifying shapes in your environment to understanding math concepts, knowing the names of shapes is a valuable skill. In this article, we’ll cover all the basic shapes such as circle, square, triangle, and rectangle, as well as more complex shapes like trapezoid, octagon, and diamond.
Names of Shapes in English
List of Shape Names
Here is the list of 30 names of shapes (geometric shapes) in English:
- Scalene triangle
- Right triangle
Types of Shapes with Example Sentences
- The stop sign has eight sides and is shaped like an octagon.
- The seven-sided heptagon is a common shape in Islamic art.
- The honeycomb of a beehive is made up of hexagons.
- The roof of the house is shaped like a triangle.
- The sides of a scalene triangle are of different lengths.
- The Pythagorean theorem is used to find the hypotenuse of a right triangle.
- The shape of the bookshelf is a parallelogram.
- The kite in the sky is shaped like a rhombus.
- The tiles on the floor are in the shape of a square.
- The Pentagon is the headquarters of the United States Department of Defense.
- The wheels of the car are in the shape of a circle.
- The shape of the egg is oval.
- The symbol of love is a heart.
- The symbol of Christianity is a cross.
- The signboard has an arrow pointing towards the left.
- The Rubik’s cube is a famous cube shaped puzzle.
- The gas cylinder is in the shape of a cylinder.
- The American flag has a star in it.
- The moon is in the shape of a crescent.
- The shape of the roof is a trapezoid.
- The engagement ring has a diamond on it.
- The shape of the stop sign is a decagon.
- The result of the multiplication of 5 and 6 is 30.
- The result of the minus operation of 10 and 5 is 5.
- The result of the plus operation of 5 and 5 is 10.
- The shape of the racetrack is an ellipse.
- The window in the room is in the shape of a semi-circle.
- The symbol of the Boy Scouts is a trefoil.
- The wedding band is a ring.
In this section, we will cover the basic shapes that are commonly used in everyday objects. These shapes are easy to recognize and are a great starting point for learning about shapes.
A circle is a round shape that has no angles. It has a single curved line that goes all the way around the shape and is called the circumference. Circles are commonly found in nature, such as in the shape of the sun, moon, and planets. They are also used in many man-made objects, such as wheels, buttons, and coins.
A square is a four-sided shape that has four right angles and four equal sides. It is a simple shape that is easy to recognize. Squares are commonly used in building construction, such as in tiles and bricks. They are also used in many everyday objects, such as books, picture frames, and windows.
A triangle is a three-sided shape that has three angles. Triangles come in many different forms, such as equilateral, isosceles, and scalene. Equilateral triangles have three equal sides and three equal angles. Isosceles triangles have two equal sides and two equal angles. Scalene triangles have three unequal sides and three unequal angles. Triangles are commonly used in building construction, such as in roofs and bridges. They are also used in many everyday objects, such as musical instruments and traffic signs.
In this section, we will cover three intermediate shapes: rectangle, oval, and parallelogram. These shapes are commonly used in everyday objects and can be easily recognized.
A rectangle is a four-sided shape with four right angles. The opposite sides of a rectangle are parallel and equal in length. Some examples of objects that have the shape of a rectangle are books, doors, and windows.
Here are some characteristics of a rectangle:
- Two pairs of parallel sides
- Four right angles
- Opposite sides are equal in length
An oval is a shape that looks like a stretched circle. It has no corners or angles. Ovals are commonly found in nature, such as in the shape of an egg or a leaf.
Here are some characteristics of an oval:
- No corners or angles
- Symmetrical along its major and minor axis
- Looks like a stretched circle
A parallelogram is a four-sided shape with opposite sides that are parallel. The opposite sides of a parallelogram are equal in length. Some examples of objects that have the shape of a parallelogram are picture frames and diamond shapes.
Here are some characteristics of a parallelogram:
- Opposite sides are parallel
- Opposite sides are equal in length
- Diagonals bisect each other
In this section, we will explore some of the more complex shapes that you may encounter in your English language learning journey. These shapes may be more challenging to learn, but they are important to know and can be useful in many different contexts.
A hexagon is a six-sided polygon. It is a common shape in nature, such as in honeycombs and snowflakes. Here are some key facts about hexagons:
- All six sides of a hexagon are equal in length.
- All six angles of a hexagon are equal in measure.
- The sum of the angles in a hexagon is 720 degrees.
An octagon is an eight-sided polygon. It is often used in architecture, such as in the shape of stop signs and some buildings. Here are some key facts about octagons:
- All eight sides of an octagon are equal in length.
- All eight angles of an octagon are equal in measure.
- The sum of the angles in an octagon is 1080 degrees.
A pentagon is a five-sided polygon. It is commonly found in geometry and can be used to create interesting designs. Here are some key facts about pentagons:
- All five sides of a pentagon are equal in length.
- All five angles of a pentagon are equal in measure.
- The sum of the angles in a pentagon is 540 degrees.
Three Dimensional Shapes
In this section, we will discuss some of the most common three-dimensional shapes. These shapes are all around us, and it is essential to be able to recognize them and understand their properties.
A cube is a three-dimensional shape that has six square faces. Each face of a cube is identical, and all angles are right angles. The cube has eight vertices, and all edges have the same length. Cubes are often used in architecture and design, and they are also used in games such as Rubik’s Cube.
A sphere is a three-dimensional shape that is perfectly round. It has no edges or vertices, and all points on the surface of a sphere are equidistant from its center. A sphere has one curved surface, and it is often used to represent planets, balls, and other round objects.
A cylinder is a three-dimensional shape that has two identical circular bases connected by a curved surface. The cylinder has three faces: two circular faces and one curved surface. It has no vertices, and all edges are parallel. Cylinders are often used in everyday objects such as cans, tubes, and pipes.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some common geometric shapes and their names?
There are many geometric shapes, but some of the most common ones include circles, squares, rectangles, triangles, and hexagons. Other shapes include pentagons, octagons, and parallelograms.
What are the basic shapes that children learn in school?
Children typically learn about basic shapes such as circles, squares, triangles, and rectangles. They also learn about more complex shapes like hexagons and octagons.
What are the seven shapes and their names?
The seven basic shapes are the circle, square, rectangle, triangle, pentagon, hexagon, and octagon. Each of these shapes has unique properties and can be found in many different objects.
What are some 3D shapes and their names?
Some common 3D shapes include cubes, spheres, cylinders, cones, and pyramids. These shapes are often found in everyday objects like buildings, toys, and household items.
What are some shapes with more than four sides and their names?
Shapes with more than four sides are called polygons. Some common polygons include pentagons, hexagons, octagons, and nonagons. Other polygons include heptagons, decagons, and dodecagons.
What are some examples of shapes found in everyday objects?
Shapes can be found in many everyday objects. For example, a clock has a circular shape, while a book has a rectangular shape. A stop sign has an octagonal shape, while a soccer ball has a spherical shape. Other examples include the triangular shape of a slice of pizza and the cylindrical shape of a can of soda.
- Learn English Pronunciation - August 1, 2023
- English Vocabulary: Tips for Boosting Your Word Power - July 20, 2023
- English Grammar: A Comprehensive Guide to Improve Your Writing - July 20, 2023