Out of the loop! Ever you have heard about this interesting idiom? Are you searching for the meaning of this one. You are at the right page. This lesson below provides the definition, origin as well as example sentences and different ways to use instead of this phrase in English. Let’s take a look!
An idiom is a phrase or an expression that has a figurative, or sometimes literal, meaning. Categorized as formulaic language, an idiom’s figurative meaning is different from the literal meaning.
OUT OF THE LOOP
What Does Out of the Loop Mean?
When you are out of the loop, it means you don’t have, or are not aware of the knowledge a particular group of people do have. In other words, you’ve missed out on something or to be excluded from being informed about certain things known to a select few people.
In short term, out of the loop means not in formed, up-to-date, or current, not included in a process or discussion.
It’s not very nice to be out of the loop on some things. Sometimes it is much nicer to be in the loop and to know all the details than it is to be out of the loop and feel like people are planning something or doing something without you.
Out of the loop is an common idiom that came into use during the 1960s and 1970s.
Out of the Loop in Example Sentences
- I’ve been out of the loop since I changed jobs. I didn’t know Tom and Sarah had got engaged!
- They kept me out of the loop, so it was a shock to discover that they were moving our sales team to London!
- Please don’t keep me out of the loop if you have any more discussions about the building work. Thanks!
- I hope that no one ever keeps you out of the loop when they’re planning something or doing something you might be interested in.
- These activists don’t want to feel out of the loop.
- Jim had gradually been cut out of the loop on legal reviews.
- You feel out of the loop.
- This causes the break statement to be executed, breaking out of the loop.
- I’m sorry, what is this we’re discussing? I’m a little out of the loop.
- They tried to keep the boss out of the loop about their scheme, but she found out about it anyway.
Synonyms of Out of the loop
- Out of the picture
- Behind the curve
- Out of orbit
- Off the circuit