Parts of a fish! In the following lesson, you will be learning how to refer to the English names of the parts of a fish which help you improve and increase your vocabulary words in English.
Parts of A Fish
List of Different Parts of A Fish
- Dorsal fins
- Lateral line
- Caudal fin
- Pectoral fin
- Pelvic fin
Fish Anatomy with Their Functions
- Scales protect fish from injury, much like skin on the human body.
- The eyes of a fish have large round pupils which do not vary in size.
- They lead into organs of smell which are as a rule, very sensitive, so that a fish can detect the presence of food in the water at considerable distances.
- The mouth serves for taking in food; also for the breathing current of water.
- A fish “breathes” by closing the gills and opening its mouth to take in water
- Used to feel low vibrations in the water
Fin: Caudal fin, Pectoral fin, Pelvic fin, Dorsal fins
- Fins are usually the most distinctive anatomical features of a fish. Fins located in different places on the fish serve different purposes such as moving forward, turning, keeping an upright position or stopping. Most fish use fins when swimming, flying fish use pectoral fins for gliding, and frogfish use them for crawling.
Parts of A Fish Infographic