Sad synonyms in English! The following lesson provides a useful list of words to use instead of Sad with interesting example sentences and ESL printable infographic.
Sad Synonyms List
Here is the list of 35 synonyms for the word “Sad” in English with useful example sentences:
- Dire (UK)
Synonyms for Sad with Examples
- I hate to see you unhappy.
- Her face was anxious and sorrowful.
- The old man seemed dejected and spiritless.
- The day was grey and cheerless.
- He is very downhearted about the poor grade he got in school.
- She was looking very woeful, with her eyes red and swollen.
- I found the story deeply distressing.
- He looked so downcast I took pity on him.
- I feel despondent when my work is rejected.
- The music suited her melancholy mood.
- I thought that film was dire!
- He had a somber expression on his face.
- It was a painful and unpopular decision.
- He is doubly troubled, by illness and poverty.
- This country still had a deeply oppressive, unequal and divisive political system.
- He looked mournful, even near to tears.
- I have had a miserable life.
- The starving children were a pathetic sight.
- She was offended by her husband.
- He always shows a doleful expression.
- She feels sore about not being invited to the party.
- He remains deeply pessimistic about the peace process.
- My uncle became severe when I was late.
- It’s crowded at the best of times but today it was unbearable.
- Her face softened immediately, affection and wistful envy mingling in her expression.
- I thought his behaviour absolutely deplorable.
- Daniel seems very morose and gloomy.
- He looked so dispirited I took pity on him.
- I found his speech deeply poignant.
- Anna is trapped in a joyless marriage.
- He was disconsolate after his divorce.
- The house looked grim and dreary in the rain.
- She gave me a last despairing look.
- The house looked old and forlorn.
- I had a nasty feeling that he would follow me.