Types of Cakes in English! The following lesson will provide over 45 names of popular cakes in English from many countries around the world with their meaning and ESL pictures.
Cake is a form of sweet food that is usually baked. In their oldest forms, cakes were modifications of breads, but cakes now cover a wide range of preparations that can be simple or elaborate, and that share features with other desserts such as pastries, meringues, custards, and pies. People often use some kitchen equipment to make cake.
Types of Cakes
List of Cakes in English
- Angel cake
- Apple cake
- Applesauce cake
- Beer cake
- Banana cake
- Batik cake
- Bara brith
- Battenberg cake
- Birthday cake
- Blackout cake
- Bundt cake
- Butter cake
- Carrot cake
- Chestnut cake
- Chiffon cake
- Chocolate cake
- Christmas cake
- Coconut cake
- Dundee cake
- Esterházy torte
- Fig cake
- Funnel cake
- Garash cake
- Genoa cake
- Halloween cake
- Ice cream cake
- Jaffa Cakes
- Joffre cake
- Kiev cake
- King cake
- Kue cubit
- Chestnut cake
- Lemon cake
- Moon cake
- Krantz cake
Names of Cakes with their Meaning
- Meaning: Angel food cake, or angel cake, is a type of sponge cake made with egg whites, flour, and sugar.
- Meaning: Apple cake is a popular dessert produced with the main ingredient of apples.
- Meaning: Applesauce cake is a dessert cake prepared using apple sauce, flour and sugar as primary ingredients.
- Meaning: Banana cake is a cake prepared using banana as a primary ingredient and typical cake ingredients.
- Meaning: Batik cake is a type of non-baked Malaysian cake dessert.
- Meaning: Baumkuchen is a German variety of spit cake. It is a traditional pastry of many European countries, and also a popular snack and dessert in Japan.
- Meaning: Bara brith, sometimes known as “speckled bread”, is a yeast bread either enriched with dried fruit or made with self-raising flour (no yeast).
- Meaning: Battenberg or Battenburg is a light sponge cake with the pieces covered in jam. The cake is covered in marzipan and, when cut in cross section, displays a distinctive two-by-two check pattern alternately coloured pink and yellow.
- Meaning: A birthday cake is a cake eaten as part of a birthday celebration in many world traditions.
- Meaning: Blackout cake, sometimes called Brooklyn Blackout cake, is a chocolate cake filled with chocolate pudding and topped with chocolate cake crumbs.
- Meaning: A blondie (also known as a blonde brownie) is a rich, sweet dessert bar.
- Meaning: A chocolate brownie (commonly referred to as simply brownie) is a square, baked, chocolate dessert.
- Meaning: A Bundt cake is a cake that is baked in a Bundt pan, shaping it into a distinctive ring shape.
- Meaning: A butter cake is a cake in which one of the main ingredients is butter.
- Meaning: Carrot cake is a cake that contains carrots mixed into the batter.
- Meaning: Cheesecake is a sweet dessert consisting of one or more layers.
- Meaning: A chiffon cake is a very light cake made with vegetable oil, eggs, sugar, flour, baking powder, and flavorings.
- Meaning: Chocolate cake or chocolate gâteau is a cake flavored with melted chocolate, cocoa powder, or both.
- Meaning: Christmas cake is a type of fruitcake served at Christmas time in many countries.
- Meaning: Coconut cake is a popular dessert in the Southern region of the United States. It is a cake frosted with a white frosting and covered in coconut flakes.
- Meaning: A cupcake is a small cake designed to serve one person, which may be baked in a small thin paper or aluminum cup.
- Meaning: Dundee cake is a traditional Scottish fruit cake with a rich flavour.
- Meaning: Esterházy torta is a Hungarian cake which consists of buttercream spiced with cognac or vanilla, sandwiched between four and five layers of almond meringue (macaroon) dough.
- Meaning: Fig cake is a cake prepared with fig as a primary ingredient.
- Meaning: A financier is a small French almond cake, flavoured with beurre noisette, usually baked in a small mold.
- Meaning: Fruitcake (or fruit cake or fruit bread) is a cake made with candied or dried fruit, nuts, and spices, and optionally soaked in spirits.
- Meaning: Funnel cake is a regional food popular in North America at carnivals, fairs, sporting events, and seaside resorts.
- Meaning: Garash is a type of chocolate cake in Bulgarian cuisine. It is commonly found in Bulgarian patisseries and restaurants.
- Meaning: Genoa cake is a fruit cake consisting of sultanas, currants or raisins, glacé cherries, almonds, and candied orange peel or essence, cooked in a batter of flour, eggs, butter and sugar.
- Meaning: A Halloween cake is a cake prepared with Halloween-themed decorations and symbols.
Ice cream cake
- Meaning: An ice cream cake is ice cream in the shape of a cake with layers of sponge cake or cookie crumble in between.
- Meaning: Chestnut cake is a cake prepared using chestnuts.
- Meaning: Lamington cake is an Australian dessert of little cubes or squares of sponge cake, dipped in chocolate, then rolled in coconut.
- Meaning: Lemon cakes are a kind of sweet baked dessert, made using lemons.
- Meaning: A mooncake is a Chinese bakery product traditionally eaten during the Mid-Autumn Festival. Mooncakes consist of a thick, tender pastry skin enveloping a sweet, dense filling, and may contain one or more whole salted egg yolks in their center as the symbol of the full moon.
- Meaning: Tiramisu is a coffee-flavoured Italian dessert.
- Meaning: Krantz cake is an Ashkenazi Jewish cake prepared using yeast-risen dough.
Types of Cakes | Infographic