Types of Flowers in English! Learn the useful list of over 50 popular flower names in English with example sentences and ESL printable infographic.
Learn more about a list of common insects in English.
Types of Flowers in English
List of Flower Names
- Cactus flower
- Confederate rose
- Orange rose
- Apricot blossom
- Cherry blossom
- Moss rose
Names of Flowers with Examples
- This fruit was picked only yesterday, it’s as fresh as a daisy.
- The national emblem of England is a rose.
- The orchid is a class of plant which I have never tried to grow.
- In a vase on the table stood a tulip.
- He carefully tended his sunflower plants all summer.
- The silver-leaved varieties of cyclamen are not quite as hardy.
- He had a white carnation in his buttonhole.
- The Queen laid a poppy wreath at the war memorial.
- There was a healthy pink petunia, a shy violet pansy and the promise of a fuchsia.
- I peeped through the interstice abstractedly and saw a tiny violet flower, quivering.
- The air was filled with the sweetness of mimosa.
- Sweet blue hyacinth twisted over my soul.
- The flower’s common name is forget-me-not.
- There are many woodland flowers, such as wood sorrel, bluebell, fox glove and wood anemone.
- The smell of bougainvillea, which produces flowers all year round and supplies the wreaths, is in the air.
- The fields were golden with buttercups.
- Confederate rose will mature into a large shrub or small tree.
- The crocuses are late coming into flower.
- Some favoured dahlia, others preferred the bright geranium.
- She picked up a pink flower from a foxglove.
- Geranium oil has a sweet fragrance reminiscent of roses.
- Bright petals mark the hibiscus, a flowering plant found in much of the world.
- Roses and honeysuckle entwine the little cottage.
- The smell of lavender lingered faintly in the room.
- The air was filled with the scent of lilac.
- North American bur marigold with large flowers.
- The snowdrops were just starting to come out.
- Let us smell the fragrance of Tuberose reveal?
- Snow was falling as steadily as the apricot blossom in the first monsoon storm.
- The seeds of dandelion were carried to the meadow by the wind.
- They had a beautiful yard hedged in by hydrangeas.
It is impossible for any person to be completely unaware of flower meanings. Here is the list of popular flower names with their meanings and symbols that you might be interested in.
- Daisy: Innocence and purity
- Rose: Love
- Iris: Eloquence. (Purple iris is symbolic of wisdom and compliments. Blue iris symbolizes faith and hope.)
- Orchid: Symbol of the exotic beauty
- Tulip: A declaration of love.
- Sunflower: Adoration and dedication.
- Cyclamen: Resignation
- Poppy: Represents “remembrance
- Pansy: Thoughtfulness and remembrance
- Violet: Loyalty, devotion, faithfulness.
- Daffodil: New beginnings
- Lily: Purity, happiness, luck, and humility.
- Hyacinth: The purple version of this bloom means “please forgive me”
- Anemone: Fragility
- Gladiolus: Remembrance
- Forget-me-not: Forget-me-nots ask that you forget-me-not
- Bluebell: Humility, constancy
- Buttercup: Neatness, childish, humility
- Cactus flower: Warmth and care, especially from a mother to a child
- Camellia: Good luck gift for a man
- Chrysanthemum: You’re a wonderful friend, cheerfulness and rest.
- Cockscomb: Affection, singularity, silliness
- Crocus: Cheerfulness, gladness
- Dahlia: Treachery, elegance & dignity, good taste, associated with 14th Wedding anniversary
- Foxglove: Stupidity, folly
- Geranium: Stupidity or folly during the Victorian times
- Hibiscus: Delicate beauty
- Honeysuckle: Happiness
- Lavender: Admiration, solitude
- Lotus: Purity, enlightenment, self-regeneration and rebirth
- Magnolia: Nobility
- Marigold: Cruelty, grief, jealousy
- Peony: Shame, happy life, happy marriage
- Primrose: I can’t live without you
- Snapdragon: Deception, gracious lady
- Snowdrop: Rebirth
- Dandelion: Faithfulness, happiness
- Hydrangea: Thank you for understanding, frigidity, heartlessness
Different Types of Flowers | Infographic